“Stepping Forward Together 2019: Promoting Cultural Competence and Equity in Communities”
Vermont Care Partners will hold its annual conference to continue the discussion with national, regional, and local speakers about health care disparities, cultural competence and ways we can improve our service delivery to the Vermonters.
University of Vermont, Davis Center – March 14, 2019
The 2018 conference was incredibly successful with people asking for more opportunity to learn about and discuss the topics of racism and cultural blindness. Vermont Care Partners is working closely together with the Vermont Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities Program (LEND) at the University of Vermont College of Medicine, and the University of Vermont Center on Disability and Community Inclusion to present this important opportunity.
The day will be filled with workshops and panels with the following invited workshops:
“Toward a Deeper Understanding of Diversity and Inclusion: Knowledge and Practices for Successfully Working with Diverse Communities” presented by Jesús Treviño, Ph.D. Senior Diversity Officer and Laurie Lind, OT, Senior Diversity Officer, The Lind Group, LLC, Tucson, AZ
“Separate Is Never Equal – Healthcare Inequities In the Treatment of Substance Use Disorders” presented by Joe Parks, MD, Medical Director for the National Council for Behavioral Health & Aaron Williams, Senior Director of Training and TA for Substance Use for the National Council for Behavioral Health
“LGBTQ+ Clinical Competence and Affirmative Services” presented by Markus Bidell, PhD., Associate Professor of Counseling, Hunter College, New York
“Structural Competence Training to Address Behavioral Health Disparities” presented by Maria Mercedes Avila, Ph.D., Cultural Resource Solutions, LLC (all day workshop)
- This all day workshop is held from 8:30 to 4:30. Participants in this workshop will not be able to attend the welcome and leadership panel or other workshops held throughout the day
- The workshop is sponsored by a grant from SAMHSA and is being offered at a reduced cost
Other workshops provided by your colleagues, include:
- Communicating with Deaf and Hard of Hearing Communities
- Creating a Culture of Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace
- Communication for All: Building a Community of Support for Communication
- Cultural Competence or Cultural Humility? Best Practices to Raise the Bar for Equity and Social Justice in Organizations
- Deaf Experience: It’s Not Equality, It’s Equity Presuming Competence: The Right to Communicate and be Included
- Disentangling Wellness from Whiteness: Examining Dominant Power Structure in Social Services
- From Apart to a Part: Facilitating Community Engagement as a Self-Directed Outcome Introduction to Microaggressions
- Lessons from Psychiatric Survivors
- Preventing Suicide in Health and Mental Health Care Systems: Evidence-based Principles and Cultural Considerations for Practice Improvement
- The Collaborative Network Approach
- The Relationship between Chronic Absenteeism and Health: The Vermont landscape and Planning for our Future
- The Truth Comes from Us: Self-advocates Speak out about Unlearning Ableism and Supporting People with Disabilities who are LGTBQIA
- Woof 101: Service Animals, Therapy Animals, and Companion/Emotional Support Animals – What are the Differences and who can Benefit?
All human services providers, medical providers, educators, state officials, translators and other interested in promoting equity in Vermont should attend. Join the conversation!
Includes the full conference, continental breakfast, lunch, and parking. CEU’s are pending.
- Group Rate: $125 per person for a group rate of 5 or more (includes entire conference, breakfast, lunch and parking)
- Individual Rate: $150 per person (includes entire conference, breakfast, lunch and parking)
- Structural Competence Training with Dr. Avila: $50 per person (The workshop is sponsored by a grant from SAMHSA and is being offered at a reduced cost. This is an all day workshops from 8:30 to 4:30. Participants in this workshop will not be able to attend the welcome and leadership panel or other workshops held throughout the day)
- REGISTER HERE