As we moved to remote work from home and virtual connections we wanted to be able to share resources that help keep us connected to the outside world and, through sharing them , one another. This eclectic list – for now organized less by category than who shared them – should help enliven, educate, energize and entertain during these largely isolated times.
Also note: We have a separate page hosting “The Ultimate Guide to Virtual Museum Resources, E-Learning, and Online Collections,” a list of links and portals to thousands of cultural sites, collections and tours as complied by MCN and offered FREE to nonmembers during this crisis.
And: It’s still a “work in progress” but we’ve launched a CCS Staff “group” page on Facebook to answer the request for an interactive site, where folks can post directly (great if it’s a last-minute pop-up streaming concert, etc) and also share feedback on sites or suggest virtual book groups, movie watches, etc. Check to out and ask to join if you want. Then, help build it!
For now, thanks to all who contributed links! Send questions, updates, and/or additions to Mike Reilly
Here’s the list we’ve built together so far . . .
PLUS . . .
- Live animal cams! – San Diego Zoo
- Tour the White House!
- Stream Broadway shows! FREE TRIAL then 8.99/month
- Doodling lessons from a well-loved children’s author/illustrator Mo Willems! Every weekday 1pm.
- Virtual Disney rides!
- Earthcam is really cool, too. There are live views of places all over the world including New York City, a lion’s den, an eagles nest, and so, so much more.
Learn to Juggle! Scott says, “This is a virtual juggling lesson offered by Mashobane Moruthane, one of my daughters former Waldorf instructors. It is intended for children but he is entertaining and of my favorite people on the planet.”
Coronavirus for Kids, and the Science of Soap: A podcast for kids on, among other things, the power of soap and water. On VPR’s “But Why? Podcast for Kids”
From Michelle: Virtual Horseshow
- Storyline Online: Live readings of children’s books by celebrities
- Adventures in Familyhood: Links to virtual tours of zoo’s, museums, aquariums, and virtual “traveling” with activities to go along with each opportunity:
From Tiernan: Safe and Easy Science Experiments:
Make Your Own Lava Lamp
Make A Storm In A Glass
Make Your Own Play-Doh
Make Snow Fluff
Make Your Own Crystals
Make Rock Candy
and MORE from Tiernan: Microwave recipes
Open Culture: Soothing, Uplifting Resources for Parents & Caregivers Stressed by the COVID-19 Crisis
Popular Audio Books:
Virtual travel: visit world famous sites from your couch!
From Kristi AND Sadie:
“Home Safari” from Cincinnati Zoo every day at 3 p.m.
WORKOUTS! From Kristi AND Ashley:
- FREE at-home workouts (during COVID crisis) through the Edge (over 100 workouts!)
- or, ON-DEMAND workouts for 60-day Free TRIAL And $9.99 after:
Melissa Etheridge is doing short concerts daily from her home on Facebook Live
From Emily (links to VIDEOS!):
- Bill’s Bill- Our History of Special Education in the Great State of Vermont (with Bill V!)
- I am in here. (with Mark U!)
- Wretches and Jabberers
A reminder we all have access to excellent resources through our Employee Assistance Plan at Invest EAP
From Michelle: Remote Fitness Resources for Older individuals who are blind
- Aaptiv audio-based fitness workouts
- Audible has audio workouts that are perfect for people who cannot see a video
- USA Women’s Goalball Team Tabata Training video on YouTube
- Leslie Sansung Walking Videos on YouTube
- National Council on Aging: Exercise Programs that Promote Senior Fitness: https://www.ncoa.org/center-for-healthy-aging/basics-of-evidence-based-programs/physical-activity-programs-for-older-adults/
- sweatco keeps a record of your steps and you get paid to walk. You can spend the money on items they carry.
- Tabata four minute training videos
- Tabata YouTube Videos for all workout levels
- Check Talking Books for books on Yoga.
- USABA Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/UnitedStatesABA/
- Why We Love Goalball video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuUuB_FN7Bg
MORE . . .
Local Resources with access to MANY videos:
Stuck in Vermont (at Seven Days)
Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce COVID-19 Resource Guide